Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Looking Back

Wow, the last post I wrote was the day before my last day at work, the day before I moved all my things out of the mountain apartment to rejoin my husband and cat in our beautiful house. And only a few days before we set off on our 4 week long holiday, the usual one, to see see family and friends in both Norway and Italy. I better write about everything in several installments :)

The last day of work consisted of clearing up my computer, saving files and writing instructions for the newcomer. It was kind of sad as I've worked with possibly the best colleagues ever, however I was also happy about returning home.

The evening before the last day my colleagues and boss had organised a farewell dinner, which I found really touching and sweet. They had clearly appreciated my work and presence, which means a lot to me having tried to find a job for so long. At the moment this huge research facility doesn't accept part-time workers but I left hints all over the place that if that change I would love, absolutely LOVE to come back working for them.

The experience as a weekend commuter was strange and OK. I've now had a taste of the life my father had been living for so many, many years. I still don't know how he managed to do it.
I guess it also became a bit amputated by my pregnancy making it a little harder living up there by myself. Mainly because I was so tired in the evening that in the middle of the evening news I was already sleeping with my head on the chest and the remote control still in my hand. Thus not going out exploring the surroundings.

However for the first time in three years in Provence I have now seen the lavender fields!! Articles and TV documentaries make you think that they are all over Provence but you will not find them along this part of the coast. On the postcards they are edited into the images of Toulon and the nearby villages - such a obvious lie when you have lived here for a while :)

8 comments:

Jess said...

So beautiful! Did you smell the lavender heavily in the air?

My open roads said...

wow! what a beautiful area! Can't wait to read about the rest of your Summer and see photos! Hope all is good in the baby-belly world too!

mdgirl said...

Astrid -- almost there. 6 weeks left?

Astrid said...

Jess: The air was quite fragrant yes. And the fun thing is that this lavender is used in the cosmetic products of Occitan!

Brandi and Ola: Went for a scan two days ago and everything is looking fine. Just about 6 weeks left, enough for the preparation courses.

American in Norway said...

Beautiful shots! & 6 weeks left.. wow, how exciting... Keep us posted : )

sassy said...

We actually DO have a lot of lavendar fields around here... very nice shots!

Astrid said...

Hi Sassy! We have clearly settled on the wrong part of the coast for several reasons :)

Expat Traveler said...

wow... those are beautiful lavender pics.. Can't believe how fast time really flies... It must feel great to be in ahouse now though!